Home :: Amnesia
Amnesia - Causes, Symptoms And Home Remedies
Amnesia refers to partial or complete loss of memory. The latter, however, is almost inconceivable as no intellectual functions are possible without memory. Different types and degrees of amnesia are found in old age and other organic conditions.
Symptoms of amnesia.
The most common form of this disease is verbal amnesia. In this condition, the patient forgets words or names. A very uncommon form of amnesia is temporary loss of memory, in which a person even forgets his own identity, including his name, age, family background and any recollection of the past. In case of poor memory caused by brain weakness, the patient may suffer from mild headache, intolerance to noise and inability to concentrate.
Causes of amnesia.
The main cause of amnesia is the impairment of brain cells by diseases directly or indirectly affecting them through a poor blood supply due to circulatory diseases. Poor memory also results from dullness of intellect and weakness of brain. Many cases are, however, largely psychological in origin, caused by anxiety neurosis, resulting from lack of attention in persons obsessed with their own problems. Temporary loss of memory may result from an injury.
Types of amnesia.
- Retrograde Amnesia.
- Wernike-Korsakoff's Psychosis.
- Traumatic Amnesia.
- Infantile/Childhood Amnesia.
- Hysterical (Fugue) Amnesia.
Natural home remedies for the treatment of amnesia.
- The most remarkable remedy for loss of memory or forgetfulness is the use of the herb rosemary, botanically known as Romarinus officinalis. Rosemary has long been regarded as a herb for remembrance. In ancient times, the Greeks and the Romans prepared fragrant distilled water from the flowers of this plant and inhaled the odour so that the evils were destroyed from the mind and the memory no longer played tricks. Rosemary is considered to be an antidote for mental fatigue and forgetfulness. A tea made from this herb, taken once or twice a day, is a refreshing drink and an effective natural remedy for enhancing mental agility.
- Another herb useful in amnesia is brahmi booti botanically known as Bacopa scrophulariaceae. About seven grams of this herb should be dried in the shade and ground in water, along with seven kernels of almonds and half a gram of pepper. This mixture should be strained and sweetened with twenty-five gm of sugar. It should be drunk every morning for a fortnight on an empty stomach.
- The herb sage has also been found beneficial in the treatment of a weak memory or loss of memory. It acts on the cortex of the brain, mitigates mental exhaustion and strengthens the ability to concentrate. A tea prepared from dried sage leaves can be used regularly for this purpose.
- Almonds are very valuable for restoring a poor memory caused by brain weakness. They contain unique properties to remove brain debility and to strengthen the brain. Almonds preserve the vitality of the brain and cure ailments originating from nervous disorders. Ten to twelve almonds should be immersed in water overnight and their outer skin removed. They should then be made into a fine paste and taken, mixed with one teaspoonful of butter or even alone. Inhaling ten to fifteen drops of almond oil through the nose, morning and evening, is also beneficial in the treatment of brain weakness.
- Walnut is another unique dry fruit valuable in countering brain weakness. About twenty grams of walnuts should be taken every day. The value of walnuts is enhanced if they are taken with figs or raisins in a proportion of ten gram each, everyday.
- Apples are useful in amnesia. The various chemical substances contained in this fruit such as Vitamin B, phosphorus, and potassium help in the synthesis of glutamic acid. This acid controls the wear and tear of nerve cells. Eating an apple a day with one teaspoon of honey and one cup of milk Is beneficial in the treatment of loss of memory and mental irritability. It acts as an effective nerve tonic and recharges the nerves with new energy and life.
- The use of cumin seeds is another valuable remedy for amnesia or dullness of memory. Three grams of black cumin seeds should be mixed with two teaspoonfuls of pure honey and taken once a day, preferably, in the morning.
- Five seeds of finely ground black pepper, mixed with one teaspoon honey are also beneficial in the treatment of the amnesia. This preparation should be taken both in the morning and evening.
Back to mental & nervous disorders section